Since I have lived in Texas for more than two years now, I figured it was about time that I make a Texas sheet cake. This recipe definitely makes a lot of cake and would be good for a picnic or cookout. I knew it was dangerous for me to keep this much cake in the house, so my husband and I each ate a piece and then I took the rest of the cake to work. It was well received at the office, and I will not hesitate to use this recipe again.
TEXAS SHEET CAKE
Adapted from Cookie Madness
INGREDIENTS - CAKE
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups minus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter
1/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 cup water
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
INGREDIENTS - FROSTING
1 pound (about 3 3/4 cups) confectioners' sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
7 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 15x10 inch jelly roll pan.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Melt butter in a small to medium size saucepan. Stir in the cocoa powder and water and bring to a boil. Pour the boiling cocoa mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture and mix with a spoon until blended.
4. In a second bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and baking soda. Add the egg mixture to the cocoa mixture and stir until blended - do not overmix.
5. Pour batter into the pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. As soon as you pull the cake from the oven, start making the frosting. To get a head start, you may want to sift the confectioners' sugar while the cake bakes.
6. For the icing, sift confectioners' sugar into a mixing bowl and set aside. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When butter is almost melted, add the 4 tablespoons cocoa powder and 7 tablespoons milk and bring just to a boil. As soon as the mixture reaches a boil, remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract. Pour the cocoa mixture into the bowl of sifted confectioners' sugar and whisk together until smooth. Work quickly so that the frosting does not start to set up in the bowl. Once the frosting is smooth, pour the frosting over the warm cake. Allow cake to cool and frosting to set up before serving.