I usually only make these cookies during the holidays. However, I ended up with a large quantity of Hershey's kisses after some work meetings and I decided the best way to use them up was by making these cookies. In case you were wondering, they still taste good in the summertime!
PEANUT BUTTER BLOSSOMS
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
48 foil-wrapped milk chocolate pieces, unwrapped (such as Hershey's Kisses)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cream together shortening, peanut butter, brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Beat well.
3. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Beat on low speed just until stiff dough forms.
4. Shape into 1-inch balls. Roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Top each cookie immediately with an unwrapped chocolate piece, pressing down firmly so that cookie cracks around edge. Remove from cookie sheets to cool.
This post is linked to Sweets for a Saturday.