SOFT AND CHEWY ALMOND COOKIES
Adapted slightly from Beyond Frosting
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1. Combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
2. Add the eggs and almond extract. Mix into butter and sugar until the eggs are well beaten.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Slowly add into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined and dough forms.
4. Place round heaping tablespoons of dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place 4-5 sliced almonds on top of the cookies. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place about 2 inches apart and bake at 350° F for 9-11 minutes until edges are set and centers are no longer shiny. Allow cookie to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.