Snickerdoodles are a classic cinnamon sugar cookie, and happen to be one of my husband's favorites. I have tried several recipes and this is the one that he likes best. These cookies bake up nice and crispy around the edges and chewy in the center. SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until just combined.
4. Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl.
5. Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of dough into balls. Roll balls in cinnamon mixture and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are set. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool.