Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chocolate Oreo Cream Cake

I made this cake for my birthday in early July.  People always react with surprise when they learn that I am baking my own birthday cake, but I actually enjoy making my own cake because I know it will be delicious and I know I will get exactly what I want.  I've seen slight variations on this cake all over the internet, and while I only shared this cake with my husband, I can guess that it would be a crowd pleaser as well.

CHOCOLATE OREO CREAM CAKE

INGREDIENTS - CAKE
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

INGREDIENTS - FILLING
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups Cool Whip
12 Oreo cookies, coarsely crushed

INGREDIENTS - FROSTING
1 cup butter, softened
4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup Hershey's Special Dark baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

DIRECTIONS
1. For the cake - preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line three 9-inch pans with parchment paper and spray pans with cooking spray. Stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla, and beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 22-25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove cakes from pans to wire racks. Cool cakes completely.

2. For the filling - beat the cream cheese and sugar together until well blended.  Fold in the Cool Whip until almost blended, then fold in the crushed Oreos.

3. For the frosting - in a large mixing bowl, cream butter. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, cocoa, and vanilla. Add enough milk until frosting reaches spreading consistency.


4. To assemble, place one cake round on a cake board or serving platter. Spread filling evenly over the cake, then top with the remaining cake layer. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the chocolate frosting. Store cake in the refrigerator.

1 comment: