My boss celebrated his birthday earlier this week so I made two batches of cupcakes. Since we only have three people in our office, I sent half of the cupcakes with Matt to the lab and brought the other half to the office. They were yummy!
Adapted From the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
YIELD - 12 to 15 cupcakes
INGREDIENTS - CAKE
12 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
7 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
INGREDIENTS - FROSTING
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
3/4 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 3 1/2 ounces of coconut.
4. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner nearly to the top with batter. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until the tops are golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla and almond extracts. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth. Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.