I made these cupcakes to take to the office along with the coconut cupcakes posted previously. Matt also took half of this batch to work, and one of the women there requested that I send a diet plan next time.
I had to dissect one to show the peanut butter filling.
Here are both kinds of cupcakes in my snazzy new cupcake carrier.
PEANUT BUTTER FILLED CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
From Hannah's Kitchen
INGREDIENTS - CUPCAKES
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons hot water
6 tablespoons milk
1 large egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
INGREDIENTS - FILLING
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup heavy cream
INGREDIENTS - ICING
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1. For the cupcakes, preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a heavy mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; add sugar.
3. Turn the mixer on low and add, in order, water, milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on medium, briefly, to achieve a smooth batter.
4. Scoop the batter into muffin tins lined with baking cups; each cup should be about half full. Bake for about 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
5. For the filling, put the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla in a small bowl. With an electric mixer, beat the ingredients until they are creamy. Add heavy cream and beat until the mixture is soft and creamy. Use to fill cooled cupcakes.
6. For the icing, melt the chocolate with the cream in a heavy saucepan and cook over very low heat until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and refrigerate until cooled but not to firm, 30 to 45 minutes. Using a mixer, beat on high speed until thick and creamy. Pipe or spread onto filled cupcakes.