I'm going to a 4th of July party later this evening and I wanted to bring something festive. I decided to make sugar cookies, ice them, and then sprinkle with red and blue sugar. Of course I had to use my star-shaped cookie cutter to add to the festiveness!
From the Betty Crocker Cookbook (circa 1960)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium mixing bowl.
2. Cream together butter and sugar; add eggs and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy.
3. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture a little at a time and mix until combined.
4. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
6. Roll out dough to about 1/8" thickness and cut out cookies.
7. Bake for 5-6 minutes, or until edges are the lightest of browns. Do not overbake.
8. Cool completely before icing.