These little pies represent my entry into this year's Pillsbury Bake-Off competition. Even my pickiest taste tester (who also happens to be my husband) thought they were really delicious!
APPLE CHERRY PIE POCKETS
From Hannah's Kitchen
YIELD - 6 Pies
1 box (15 ounces) Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust
4 medium Gala apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (about 4 cups)
3/4 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 dash salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons coarse sugar (turbinado works well)
6 tablespoons Smuckers caramel ice cream topping
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Peel, core, and chop apples and place in a 2-quart saucepan. Add cherries, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, butter, flour, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water, and vanilla extract. Stir and cook over medium heat until apples start to soften and release their juices, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Unroll the two pie crusts and cut each crust in half, then cut each half into thirds, resulting in 12 triangle-shaped pieces of pie dough.
4. In a small bowl, combine the eggs and 1 tablespoon water to create an egg wash.
5. Place 6 triangles of dough onto a flat work surface and brush the edges of each piece with the egg wash. Spoon apple mixture into centers of each triangle, being careful not to pile too high (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the mixture should fit). Spread mixture evenly to within 1/4 inch of the edge of the dough.
6. Place the remaining 6 triangles of dough on top of each of the 6 triangles on the work surface. Carefully press the edges together to seal each triangle. Then use a fork to crimp the edges all the way around each triangle.
7. Brush each of the 6 filled triangles with egg wash and sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon of coarse sugar. Carefully place each triangle on the parchment-lined baking sheets. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-inch slit in the middle of each pie pocket to allow steam to escape when baking.
8. Bake the pie pockets for 15-17 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool further. Pies may be served warm or cooled.
9. When pies are ready to be served, place each triangle on a plate and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of the caramel ice cream topping.