Yesterday I made this lemon cream cheese pie so I can take it to the pie eating party today. The lemon filling is bright and fresh, and is well-balanced by the cream cheese layer below.
First I made the lemon filling and let it cool to room temperature.
While the filling cooled I mixed up the cream cheese layer.
The cream cheese layer is then spread into the cooled pie shell.
Next, the lemon filling is spread on top of the cream cheese layer.
Make sure the lemon filling completely covers the cream cheese layer.
Finally, use the reserved cream cheese mixture to pipe decorations onto the pie.
The inside has two gorgeous layers.
LEMON CREAM CHEESE PIE
1 baked 9-inch pie pastry
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons cornstarch
Pinch of salt
1 cup water
2-3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 whipped heavy cream (about 6 tablespoons cream, whipped)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and pinch of salt.
2. Stir in water, lemon juice, lemon zest, and food coloring (if using) and breing to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until mixture is smooth and thickened.
3. Remove lemon mixture from heat, stir in butter, and cool to room temperature (about an hour).
4. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
5. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cream cheese mixture to be used for garnish.
6. Spread the remaining cream cheese mixture into the baked pastry shell.
7. Top with the cooled lemon filling.
8. Scoop the reserved 1/2 cup cream cheese mixture into a pastry bag with a star tip. Pipe stars onto the pie, or garnish with reserved cream cheese mixture as desired.
9. Chill in the fridge for a minimum of 8 hours, or overnight.
10. Refrigerate until ready to serve.