My mom clipped the recipe for these pies from a magazine and sent it to me. They really do taste like little red velvet cakes.
RED VELVET WHOOPIE PIES
From Better Homes and Gardens Magazine - December 2008
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 - 1oz bottle red food coloring (2 Tbsp)
1/4 cup butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 7oz jar marshmallow creme
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
2. In medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high for 30 seconds. Beat in brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in food coloring.
4. Spoon batter in 1- or 2-inch diameter rounds, about 1/2 inch high on prepared baking sheets, allowing at least 1 inch between each round.
5. Bake 7 to 9 minutes for 1-inch cookies or 9 to 11 minutes for 2-inch cookies, or until tops are set. Cool completely on baking sheets on rack. Remove cooled cookies from baking sheets.
6. In medium bowl, beat all filling ingredients until smooth.
7. To fill, dollop Whoopie Pie Filling on flat sides of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down. Makes 60 one-inch or 42 two-inch cookies.
8. To store, refrigerate in airtight container up to 4 days. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.